United States Postal Services 2005 Issue
Designed by Ethel Kessler, Bethesda, MD|
Northeast Deciduous Forest
United States Postal Service has issued a new stamp pane that has ten different stamps with a postage value of 37 cents each named "Northeast Deciduous Forest" on the 3rd of March 2005. The new pane is the seventh issued in the USPS Nature of America series. It depicts 27 species of Animal and Plant life. On the back of the stamp pane there is a description of many plants and animals inhabiting this forest community and a numbered key to the artwork. Each of the Animal and Plant species on the pane are identified below. Try to find each one on the stamp pane.
Note: The star following the scientific name in the above list is the animal or plant on one of the ten 37 cents stamps on the pane. The other animals and plants on the pane are just for show.
- 1. Northern Red Oak (Quercus rubra)
- 2. Eastern Buckmoth (Hemileuca maia)*
- 3. Christmas Fern (Polystichum acrostichoides)
- 4. Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens)
- 5. Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)
- 6. Common Polypody (Polypodium polypodioides)
- 7. Long-tailed Weasel (Mustela frenata) *
- 8. Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapillus)*
- 9. Eastern White Pine (Pinus strobus)
- 10. Canada Mayflower (Maianthemum canadense)
- 11. Red Eft (Eastern Newt) (Notophthalmus viridescens)*
- 12. American Beech (Fagus grandifolia)
- 13. White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)*
- 14. Honey Mushroom (Armillaria mellea)
- 15. Red Maple (Acer rubrum)
- 16. Paper Birch (Betula papyrifera)
- 17. Ground Pine (Lycopodium obscurum)
- 18. Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)*
- 19. Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus)*
- 20. Spinulose Woodfern (Dryopteris carthusiana)
- 21. Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)*
- 22. Chicken Mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus)
- 23. Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
- 24. Black Bear (Ursus americanus)*
- 25. American Chestnut sprouts (Castanea dentata)
- 26. Eastern Red Bat (Lasiurus borealis)*
- 27. White Wood Aster (Aster divaricatus)
Previous issues in the Nature of America series include:
- Pacific Coral Reef (2004)
- Arctic Tundra (2003)
- Longleaf Pine Forest (2002)
- Great Plains Prairie (2001)
- Pacific Coast Rain Forest (2000)
- Sonoran Desert (1999)
"Northeast Deciduous Forest" can be purchased as single stamp Pane of 10, Press sheet, or FDC. The size of each horizontal stamp is 1.56" x 1.225" and the size of each vertical stamp is 1.225" x 1.560". Full stamp pane size is 9.125" x 6.75" They will be printed by Avery Dennison, Clinton SC using the Gravure printing process. Quantity printed will be 55.6 million stamps.
To order these stamps or to learn more go to usps.com Use the Universal currency conversion tool at www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi to convert currency.
TEST YOUR STAMP KNOWLEDGE
What country stamps would have these markings?
Note: use Browser Back Button to return to this page after viewing the Answer page.
Home | Contact Us | Store
Copyright 2005 Hobby Software